Tuesday 22 January 2019

Food, Glorious Food!

Welcome to Foxy Foodie, the place where I will be cataloguing all of my favourite culinary successes!  

I first started experimenting with recipes when my sister developed a wheat intolerance, and I wanted to master gluten free baking.  When I became suddenly lactose-intolerant in my mid-20s, by which time I'd already developed a healthy cheese and ice-cream habit (not together, that'd be weird), my serious experimentation began.  As time went on, I started my egg free experiments, and making my baking completely vegan where possible.  Over time, I've found that a lot of my cooking has become plant based, but I'm not quite there yet.

My plan is to recreate allergen safe versions of my favourite dishes from childhood, and tread on culinary paths yet to be explored.  It'll be interesting, if nothing else, so I hope you enjoy the journey!

This will be one of two sister food blogs, the other being Kawaii Noms where I plan to make food that mostly looks adorable and tastes delicious - who knows, I might merge it with this one?

On ethics

I am committed to using fair trade and organic produce in my food preparation, and I hope to encourage others to do the same.  Using organic produce will help minimise your exposure to carcinogenic chemicals, as well as generally being more environmentally friendly and friendly to farm workers than their non-organic counterparts. Check out the 'Organic Living' from the Soil Association for more info.

Using Fair Trade products, far from what some believe, is not a fad but a moral obligation that needs to be built into our consumer culture.  Many people don't seem to realise that everything they buy is grown, raised, caught, or made by people in developing countries.  Globalisation means that products are supplied by those nations (and companies therein) that can supply goods and services cheapest, and this more often than not leads to the exploitation of those most vulnerable.  It is unfair that we enjoy luxury products at the expense of other members of our human family who work in dangerous conditions for long hours and receive barely enough money on which to live.  Fair Trade is helping to put a stop to the unfair practices of corporations making millions from the mistreatment of their workers.  Make sure you read '10 Reasons to Support Fair Trade', and you can find out more about Fair Trade at the Fair Trade Foundation's website.

That all being said... *hops off high horse* I hope you enjoy my experiments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment